Optimism is looking at the positive aspects of things. It is also a hopeful anticipation that future events will be favorable. Basically, it is seeing and expecting the best in all things.
Optimism in Idioms
Here are examples of optimism in idioms and popular phrases:
- Seeing the glass half full instead of half empty.
- When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.
- Every cloud has a silver lining.
- Hope against hope.
- Things have a way of working out for the best.
- There is light at the end of the tunnel.
- Keep your chin up.
- Hang in there.
- There are plenty of fish in the sea.
- When one door closes, another one opens.
- See the world through rose-colored glasses.
- Count your blessings.
- Everything is coming up roses.
Optimism Every Day
Here are examples of optimism in everyday situations:
- Work was cancelled due to inclement weather. An optimistic person enjoyed the time off.
- The phone rings and Albert answers it, expecting good news.
- J K Rowling had 12 rejections of Harry Potter before someone accepted it and published it.
- When checking the mail, Betsy expects something wonderful from a friend.
- Optimism is a person becoming paralyzed from the waist down realizing that he still has his hands and can still do many things.
- Marie performs poorly on a test but determines that she will do much better on the next one to make up for it.
- When it appeared that the charity would have to close its doors because of a shortage of donations, the volunteers organized a charity rummage sale, certain it would bring in enough money.
- When shipwrecked on a deserted island, the crew optimistically believed they would be rescued.
- After getting fired, Johnny and his wife celebrated for the job he would soon have.
- Instead of being dejected when her scholarship application was denied, she focused on the other applications she had out there and knew one would come through for her.
Quotes on Optimism
Here are examples of quotes about optimism:
- Those who wish to sing always find a song. – Swedish proverb
- The optimist sees the rose and not its thorns; the pessimist stares at the thorns, oblivious of the rose. – Kahlil Gibran
- You see things; and you say “why?” But I dream of things that never were, and I say “Why not?” – George Bernard Shaw
- No winter lasts forever; no spring skips its turn. – Hal Borland
- We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible. – Vince Lombardi
- The average pencil is seven inches long, with just a half-inch eraser – in case you thought optimism was dead. – Robert Brault
- Optimism doesn’t wait on facts. It deals with prospects. Pessimism is a waste of time. – Norman Cousins
- One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn’t pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself. – Lucille Ball
- Few things in the world are more powerful than a positive push. A smile. A world of optimism and hope. A ‘you can do it’ when things are tough. – Richard M. DeVos
- There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. – Albert Einstein
- Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. – Helen Keller
- Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success. – Lao Tzu
Maybe these optimism examples can help you to look on the positive side in your own life.