Love is in the air! Can you feel it? Of everything we experience in life, one thing holds true: love conquers all. Given its pervasive nature, an entire library of idioms has sprouted around this crazy little thing called love.
Idioms are a fantastic way to take an ordinary idea or expression and paint it with a colorful stroke. They take a bland, straightforward sentence and sprinkle it with allusion, adding a little fun to the language. However, idioms don’t always make sense at first glance, so we have decoded 20 common idioms about love.
Examples of Idioms About Love
- A match made in Heaven – They’re perfectly suited for one another and will likely be together forever.
- It must be puppy love – Young love, or love that’s only temporary, more like infatuation.
- Head over heels in love – So in love it’s like your whole world is turned upside down.
- She has the hots for him – It may not be love, but she’s very attracted to him.
- The course of true love never did run smooth – Life throws obstacles even in the path of those madly in love.
- He popped the question! – He proposed marriage!
- Love at first sight – As soon as they met, they felt a pull toward one another.
- Ready to tie the knot – Ready to get married.
- Say those three little words – You need to hear someone say, “I love you.”
- Their relationship is on the rocks – They might break up.
- Kiss and make up – Become friendly again after an argument.
- All’s fair in love and war – In certain situations people do not always play by the rules of reasonable behavior.
- There’s no love lost between them – They mutually dislike each other.
- Love is blind – When you’re in love you don’t notice your partner’s faults.
- You take my breath away – You amaze me.
- Joined at the hip – They like being together all the time.
- She walked out on me – She broke up with me suddenly.
- Wear your heart on your sleeve – Openly show your emotions with no qualms.
- Hit a rough patch – Face a tough time in a relationship, but one that won’t last forever.
- Let’s get hitched! – Let’s get married!
Blinded by Love
Love is something we can all relate to and is a dominant force in our lives. It seems only fair we’d have a multitude of ways to express it. Surely, it’s the most written-about subject, dating all the way back to the early roots of Greek mythology! So, the next time you fall madly in love, here’s hoping you find your match made in Heaven and live happily ever after.